Carolyn Watson Opportunities Scholarship
The Carolyn Watson Opportunities Scholarship is awarded to nominated students who demonstrate strong leadership skills, the desire to pursue specific educational goals and to attend the college or university that will provide the best opportunity for them to excel.
- Must be residents of rural Oklahoma counties (excludes 16 metropolitan counties in the Oklahoma City, Tulsa and Lawton Metropolitan Statistical Area as defined by the US Census. The following counties are excluded: Comanche, Canadian, Cleveland, Grady, Lincoln, Logan, McClain, Oklahoma, Creek, Okmulgee, Osage, Pawnee, Pottawatomie, Rogers, Tulsa, Wagoner.).
- Graduating seniors of Oklahoma high schools (students who complete graduation requirements through homeschooling are eligible) who demonstrate high academic capacity as evidenced by a GPA ≥ 3.25.
- Exceptional ability and excellence beyond the local high school environment in one of the following areas must be demonstrated by the nominee: (1) arts and humanities, (2) science and engineering or (3) community leadership.
The value of the scholarship is based on financial need as determined by the Scholarship Committee. The Carolyn Watson Opportunities award will vary up to $12,000 per academic year for a maximum of four years. Financial need is required.
The scholarship is a ‘last dollar’ award not to exceed $12,000.00 and may be applied to the cost of tuition, fees, required books and supplies, and room and board in on-campus, institutional housing only. Recipients must be enrolled full-time in a course of study leading to a bachelor’s degree (4 years). Educational institutions must be academically accredited, nonprofit institutions. Distance/online programs will not be approved. Financial need is reassessed each year. Renewal consideration requires a minimum collegiate GPA of 3.0 or higher.
The Carolyn Watson Opportunities Scholarship is a scholarship fund of the Oklahoma City Community Foundation and was established in 2009 by Carolyn Watson to provide scholarship support for students in rural Oklahoma. Recipients of the Carolyn Watson Opportunities Scholarship are not eligible to receive any other scholarship awards from the Oklahoma City Community Foundation.
- Supplemental Questions
- Please write about one of the following topics. Please limit to 500 words: (1) Describe a character from a book or play that you would trade places with, and explain why? (2) If you were a scientist today, what would you hope to discover and why? (3) Some people believe that students aren’t learning enough in high school. Should school standards be higher? Explain your answer using specific reasons and examples.
- How do you think you have shown exceptional ability and leadership skills beyond the local high school environment in one or more of the nomination areas: (1) Arts & Humanities, (2) Math, Science & Engineering, and/or (3) Community Leadership.
- LETTER OF NOMINATION (a DIFFERENT person from whoever writes the Letter of Recommendation): The Carolyn Watson Opportunities Scholarship seeks to support students who excel beyond the local high school environment in one or more of the nomination areas: (1) Arts & Humanities, (2) Math, Science & Engineering, and/or (3) Community Leadership. A nomination statement that a community leader or an educator completes is required. Please submit the name and email address of a community leader or educator who will submit a nomination statement on your behalf. Nominators who are uncomfortable submitting an online nomination can mail their nomination statement to the following address: Oklahoma City Community Foundation, Attn: Jessica Schwager, P.O. Box 1146, Oklahoma City, OK 73101-1146.
Please note: It is your responsibility to make sure your reference receives the email from us. Please reach out to them. If they have any issues, they can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Did you submit your household's FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR) for the coming year when you completed the General Application? (NOTE: If you answered "no,” please know that financial need may be considered for this scholarship. To be eligible for this scholarship, you need to return to the General Application and attach a FAFSA or a 1040 if you cannot complete the FAFSA.) If you cannot complete the FAFSA, please indicate your financial circumstances on your General Application under the particular circumstances question.
- Did you submit your resume or answer the resume component questions when you completed the General Application? (NOTE: If you answered "no", please know that a resume is required for this scholarship, and to be eligible for this scholarship you need to return to the General Application/Student Profile section and attach your resume or complete the resume components.)